  From: Willie Daniel <gith@quicklink.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:42:15 -0500

Re: Opening graphics files....

On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 11:21:54AM +1000, Andrew Apted wrote:

> Egads, yet another three letter name with 'g's and 'i's in it! :-)
>
> >  Does this sound like something useful?
>
> Take a good look at Willie's LibGBM (it used to be in the repository,
> but I see it isn't anymore).  It already handles loading various image
> file formats (plus heaps of other stuff -- halftoning ETC).

It's still on my website somewhere. Look in
http://users.quicklink.net/~gith/files/

It's not being worked on anymore. I'm re-doing the lib and will
release it under a new name. i'm adding in support for other image
formats, etc. (I've gotten PNG images loading now...yeah!) Also,
I've gotten hold of the JPEG standard, so native jfif/jpeg support
should happen sometime in the future. (i hope) Plus, it really needs
some docs so you know how to use it.

And as far as libmagick, just from a quick look at it, it seems
to be tied heavily to X11. And imlib also. Plus, with imlib,
you need libx, liby, libz, and so on to have a wide variety of images
supported.

                            Willie Daniel
                         gith@quicklink.net
                  http://users.quicklink.net/~gith/