  From: Steve Cheng <elmert@ipoline.com>
  Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:21:34 -0400 (EDT)

IRC meeting summary, 1998/09/20

Nothing much to say here, but it still was a productive meeting.

Website
=======

Your not-so-humble log summarizer will be the new webmaster (at least
temporarily, until Chris Meadors gets back).

[Not only is the website badly outdated, it's also disorganized, so I'll
probably be doing some massive overhaul of the site.  (Directory structure,
docs, HTML, etc.)  Is that o.k. with you people?]

License
=======

It's finally settled!  (Unanimous at the meeting.)

1. X license for KGI drivers or others at the authors discretion, but those
   might need to be distributed separately, then.

2. KGI-to-kernel glue layers take a license as appropriate for the host OS.
   If this defeats the use of some KGI drivers - tough luck for that OS.

3. LibGGI stays LGPL, except if we could all agree to put it under X
   license, too.
         --->  LibGGI stays LGPL.

4. Other Libs: At authors discretion, X is preferred.

5. Headers, makefiles, makerules, and scripts, as public domain.

6. Demos are under the author's discretion.  The recommendation is to put
   them into the public domain.

The X license is this:

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of
this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in
the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to
use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies
of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do
so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FIT-
NESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

[We need to put this, LGPL, and the above points in the source tree.]

DirectBuffer Structs
====================

"I like your idea of having both descriptors. Simple things shown easily,
complex ones more complex."

Thus, the component parts of the pixel will be expressed as:

* Bit-mask of red/green/blue/alpha/clut fields.
* An array of ints, one for each bit.  Flags are assigned to them.
* Shifts

Possible access widths and alignment:

bring back (no)access and align(restrict) members to DB struct.

`A set bit in the access field means access NOT allowed, and a set bit in
the align field means "must be aligned"'.

[I will update the docs with this once it's implemented.]

LibGII Integration
==================

Benefits of the GII integration:

1. Overrideable inputs.  We can attach say a console input to a memvisual.
2. Allow to unify that sick Linux one-file-per-device thing.

"The joining allows to let multiple input sources look as one. Would also
help things like display-multi" and display-tile (join inputs of all visuals).

Targets that have traditionally handled input by itself would just call
GiiOpen() and giiJoin().

"The idea is to just use the LibGII drivers in LibGGI (and eventually
delivering the most important ones directly with LibGGI)."

vis->select_fd and vis->fd will be deprecated by LibGII structures.

[There's some talk by Andrew and Andy about joystick events, but I don't
quite get it, so I can't talk about it here.  Sorry.
They say will sort this out on the list further.]

Miscellaneous
=============

LibGGI will be released at Christmas time.
Beta will be released at the beginning of October.

Get rid of ggiGT2BPP() and ggiBPP2GT().

Header and copyright cleanups on GGI tree committed: $Id at top of every
source file, description, copyright, and legalese.

Marcus has committed his initial work on an autoconf system for LibGGI.

Apparently Digital Unix has troubles with duplicated symbols in different
libraries (e.g. GGIcheckmode).  Since we may encounter this situation again,
I think the following is in order:

xf86dga target:
#define GGILIB_PREFIX	_GGI_XF86DGA_
#include "ggi-dl.h"
vis->opdisplay->checkmode = GGICHECKMODE;

ggi-dl.h
#define GGICHECKMODE	GGILIB_PREFIX##checkmode
int GGICHECKMODE(ggi_visual_t vis, ggi_mode *mode);

--
Steve Cheng

email: steve@ggi-project.org
www: <http://shell.ipoline.com/~elmert/>;