  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:40:07 +0000

Re: fbset unable to compile

Andrew Apted wrote:

> Steve writes:
>
> >  Ok, I see that initial-console-turns-white problem is fixed partially.
> >  And, after entering kgicon, switching to an already-running XF86_SVGA hangs
> >  the machine. :-(
>
> Yeah, mixing kernel graphic drivers (like kgicon) and usermode drivers
> (like XFree servers) doesn't work very well.  Things like XF86_SVGA
> expect text modes on the display (and IIRC similiar hangs when using
> vesafb and Xfree have been reported on linux-kernel).

The Cirrus Logic 542x driver works fine together with XF86_SVGA.
Unless the KGI driver does MMIO I don't see why there should be a
problem with that. Of course our goal is that every KGI driver
should be MMIO-capable, so I hope the next version of XFree86
handles this. (MetroX works fine with MMIO kgicon drivers, so it
can't be that hard)

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se