  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 12:58:53 -0700 (MST)

Re: Gii integration (was shmem integration)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks !
> >
> > > So - is it possible to control how memvisual handles keyboard/mouse/etc?
> > > as in - if some environment value is set (or a parameter), read from a
> > > pipe (of some kind) or set of pipes [keyboard, mouse, ...]
> >
> > No. You bring up a very valid point here. We didn't do much about input
> > handling, and I think there is room for improvement, and we should do it
> > now (it's easy) to avoid bringing something out that brings back trouble
> > later.

[clip]

> > This "general input interface" functions should be integrated with LibGGI,
> > as they will be rather simplistic.
> >
> > The idea is, that going this path allows for seamless integration with the
> > current implementation.
> >
> > Current target will override the ggi-input functions, thus giving old
> > behaviour.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Would be nice, wouldn't it ?
> >
> > Comments, please !
>
> I like the general ideas, but not the gii/libggi relation you
> propose.
>
> Everyone is not interrested in advanced input, and everyone might
> not be interrested in libggi graphics either. And we should really
> keep libggi _small_, so it can be used for embeded systems and the
> like.

[clip]

We still need some way to redirect I/O source for the memvis target.
And maybe any other targets that run this way too...

... unless maybe they take from current stdio and not use any ioctls?  (or
if they do may they only be ones that modify how the stream is processed)

That way you could run, say, memvis through a telnet session.
*sigh*.  I still need farely raw keyboard codes.  I'm gonna need GII
anyways.  Telnet doesn't cut it but I have full control over -what- goes
through the keyboard pipe into the target visual...

I can see this problem appearing anywhere nonlocal except through X (which
handles such details)

[I could be completely fubar here - correct me if I'm wrong please :]

G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis