  From: Sengan Baring-Gould <sengan@seqnet.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:46:06 -0600

Re: Oddball clockchip

James A Simmons wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Bob Nicksic wrote:

> > *think* this is a clock chip.

> > > But why are you doing that?
> > >
> > > Get the latest version from cvs.
> > ggi-devel-980915.tar.gz - Got It

That's not cvs. That's a tar ball. Have you some firewall inthe way?

> > > Make sure your fbcon stuff is setup right.
> > OK - Done
> > > insert fbcon-kgi
> > headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi# insmod fbcon-kgi.o

The following is wrong. Try what Marcus suggested. Onceyou insert it, you'll see
that the text on the right edge of the
screen garbled up (fbcon-kgi initialises the clock but does
not seem to take over fully until you do the con2fbmap thing)

> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_init
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_check_mode
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_done
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_get_params
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_check_mode
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_check_mode
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_check_mode
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_set_mode
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_check_mode
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_command
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_done
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_command
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_command
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_init
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_command
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_init
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_done
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_command
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_init
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_done
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_init
> > fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_done
> > headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi#

The following line would be ../util/con2fbmap 0 1 fromthat directory. Also make
sure it's compiled. I realise
this is a pain but once it works it's ok.

> > > con2fbmap 0 1
> > headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi# con2fbmap 0 1
> > bash: con2fbmap: command not found
> > headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi#
> > > and you're running.
> >
> > Well, I'm not.  What's the problem?  My /proc/bus/pci/devices file matches
> > the one you posted exactly.  My .config file matches your's exactly.  My
> > 2.1.119 kernel has all the fb stuff enabled.  BTW I had to set executable
> > flags for several .configure and other files just to get the module to
> > compile.

Yes... irritating isn't it.

> > > Do you want me to send you a binary?
> > If you have one that is any different than the ones my machine made, sure
> > I'll give it a shot.
> > >
> > > Sengan
> > >

> > OK, guys here's something to think about.  I am the type of person you guys
> > are targeting for usage.  I am college educated, computer literate, a
> > relative linux newbie, and really pissed off at Microsoft.  I found out
> > about your project after the SuSE X server didn't work on my machine.  I

That's interesting.

> > tried your stuff.  It didn't work.  I emailed the list about my problems.
> >  I got responses and suggestions.  Those didn't work.  I read the list
> > about dots and penguins at bootup, about all this success that you guys are
> > having, but still I can't get anything to work.  I can compile kernels, no
> > problem.  I set up my printer, no problem.  I set up a ppp connection, no
> > problem.  I updated my pppd, no problem.  But kgicon? problem.  I havn't
> > even tried to make libGGI yet.  Why should I?  I can't use it for anything
> > anyway.

Btw. I never got this message. (Only James' reply). Hope I didn't miss
anyothers.

> > Pissed off but done venting

Yes.. life on the edge. It takes a while to figure it out. But it's worth
it(1024x768x8 works nicely with X). The binary offer still stands.

Sengan