  From: James A Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu>
  To  : 'ggi-develop@eskimo.com' <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:06:14 -0400 (EDT)

RE: Oddball clockchip

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Bob Nicksic wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 15, 1998 8:03 PM, Sengan Baring-Gould
> [SMTP:sengan@seqnet.net] wrote:
> > > OK, my setup is as follows in as much detail as I can provide:
> > >
> > > ECS P5GX-LG Motherboard
> > > Media GX 180MHz
> > > ICS GENDAC      ICS5342-3       9735/UE720283
> > > Cyrix 5510 Rev2 companion chip
> > > ICS 9159M       9729-14         28pin DIP (U6 on the motherboard) - I
> *think* this is a clock chip.
> > >
> > > I cannot get kgi to install as a module or to compile into the kernel.
> >
> > But why are you doing that?
> >
> > Get the latest version from cvs.
> ggi-devel-980915.tar.gz - Got It
> > Make sure your fbcon stuff is setup right.
> OK - Done
> > insert fbcon-kgi
> headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi# insmod fbcon-kgi.o
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_init
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_check_mode
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_done
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_get_params
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_check_mode
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_check_mode
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_check_mode
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_set_mode
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_check_mode
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_command
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_done
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_command
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_command
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_init
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_command
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_init
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_done
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_command
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_init
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_done
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_init
> fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_done
> headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi#
> > con2fbmap 0 1
> headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi# con2fbmap 0 1
> bash: con2fbmap: command not found
> headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi#
> > and you're running.
>
> Well, I'm not.  What's the problem?  My /proc/bus/pci/devices file matches
> the one you posted exactly.  My .config file matches your's exactly.  My
> 2.1.119 kernel has all the fb stuff enabled.  BTW I had to set executable
> flags for several .configure and other files just to get the module to
> compile.

That problem will never get fixed.

> > Do you want me to send you a binary?
> If you have one that is any different than the ones my machine made, sure
> I'll give it a shot.
> >
> > Sengan
> >

> OK, guys here's something to think about.  I am the type of person you guys
> are targeting for usage.  I am college educated, computer literate, a
> relative linux newbie, and really pissed off at Microsoft.  I found out
> about your project after the SuSE X server didn't work on my machine.  I
> tried your stuff.  It didn't work.  I emailed the list about my problems.
>  I got responses and suggestions.  Those didn't work.  I read the list
> about dots and penguins at bootup, about all this success that you guys are
> having, but still I can't get anything to work.  I can compile kernels, no
> problem.  I set up my printer, no problem.  I set up a ppp connection, no
> problem.  I updated my pppd, no problem.  But kgicon? problem.  I havn't
> even tried to make libGGI yet.  Why should I?  I can't use it for anything
> anyway.
>
> Pissed off but done venting.

I know your frustration. You don't know how my times my monitor did funny
things. Read my earlier post about my first try at generic monitor.
Remember this is a devlopemnet project thats in beta stage. We are bug
killing now. Thank you for the post. I will fix the problem.