  From: Bob Nicksic <nicksic@enteract.com>
  To  : 'ggi-develop@eskimo.com' <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:55:37 -0500

RE: Oddball clockchip

On Tuesday, September 15, 1998 8:03 PM, Sengan Baring-Gould
[SMTP:sengan@seqnet.net] wrote:
> > OK, my setup is as follows in as much detail as I can provide:
> >
> > ECS P5GX-LG Motherboard
> > Media GX 180MHz
> > ICS GENDAC      ICS5342-3       9735/UE720283
> > Cyrix 5510 Rev2 companion chip
> > ICS 9159M       9729-14         28pin DIP (U6 on the motherboard) - I
*think* this is a clock chip.

> > I cannot get kgi to install as a module or to compile into the kernel.
>
> But why are you doing that?
>
> Get the latest version from cvs.
ggi-devel-980915.tar.gz - Got It
> Make sure your fbcon stuff is setup right.
OK - Done
> insert fbcon-kgi
headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi# insmod fbcon-kgi.o
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_init
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_check_mode
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_done
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_get_params
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_check_mode
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_check_mode
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_check_mode
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_set_mode
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_check_mode
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_command
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_done
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_command
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_command
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_init
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_command
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_init
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_accel_done
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_clock_command
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_chipset_init
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_ramdac_done
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_init
fbcon-kgi.o: unresolved symbol kgim_monitor_done
headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi#
> con2fbmap 0 1
headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi# con2fbmap 0 1
bash: con2fbmap: command not found
headkick:/usr/degas/kgicon/kgi#
> and you're running.

Well, I'm not.  What's the problem?  My /proc/bus/pci/devices file matches
the one you posted exactly.  My .config file matches your's exactly.  My
2.1.119 kernel has all the fb stuff enabled.  BTW I had to set executable
flags for several .configure and other files just to get the module to
compile.

> Do you want me to send you a binary?
If you have one that is any different than the ones my machine made, sure
I'll give it a shot.

> Sengan

OK, guys here's something to think about.  I am the type of person you guys
are targeting for usage.  I am college educated, computer literate, a
relative linux newbie, and really pissed off at Microsoft.  I found out
about your project after the SuSE X server didn't work on my machine.  I
tried your stuff.  It didn't work.  I emailed the list about my problems.
 I got responses and suggestions.  Those didn't work.  I read the list
about dots and penguins at bootup, about all this success that you guys are
having, but still I can't get anything to work.  I can compile kernels, no
problem.  I set up my printer, no problem.  I set up a ppp connection, no
problem.  I updated my pppd, no problem.  But kgicon? problem.  I havn't
even tried to make libGGI yet.  Why should I?  I can't use it for anything
anyway.

Pissed off but done venting.

Waiting patiently,
Bob Nicksic