  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:48:19 +0000

Re: SYNC mode should go

mentalg@geocities.com wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> > becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> > > Because LibGGI doesn't require you to go into some kind of event loop.
> > >
> > > So it depends a bit on definition. If we just post a regular expose_event,
> > > this is more or less unnecessary (at least for the X target), because the
> > > target itself could redraw, then.
>
> > ??? ;-)
> > You either poll for the expose events, in which case you will
> > recieve them, or you don't poll and don't recieve them.
> > In neither case a separate thread makes any difference.
>
> Well, I think what he's talking about is having a second thread in the X
> target lib that polls for X expose events itself, so they never have to fall
> through to the application itself and be processed there before the screen
> can be updated.

Doh! It's me who's being stupid. ;)
I forgot that the X-target has the screencontents "buffered" in the
Ximage, and thus can "redraw" the window without any help from the
app.

But other targets (fbcon, glide) can't do this, so we should just
make the X-target emit expose events to prevent stupid apps from
being written.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se