  From: Sengan Baring-Gould <sengan@seqnet.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:38:26 -0600

Re: Open list of issues before Degas goes out

> I forgot to send this reply to Kendall Bennett a while back, and I might
> as well send it with the above reply, so here it is:
>
> --------------
> Kendall thinks: having to give back code (copyleft) means others can sue
> the original copyright owners for derivative work of the original code
> if that is not also released.
>
> I say no, because:
>
> A is written by you. B is based on A and written by other-guy (copyright
> is you & other-guy).
> A' is written by you and based on A.
>
> other-guy cannot sue you because he has no copyrights on the code you
> based A' on (you can apply this argument to individual files or pieces
> of code in the package too).
>
> So my question is again: will you sue yourself? (or correct me if I'm
> mistaken that only copyright owners can sue (of what they own)).

I agree that sounds like so much codswallop. Why is it that people can only
think of suing these days rather than coding properly? If I write some code
and state "THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES FOR DERRIVATIVE WORKS"
I don't see why that's any different from "WARANTY IS VOID IF DEVICE
IS OPENED".

Sengan