  From: Tristan Wibberley <twibberley@llamacom.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:43:15 +0000

Re: Opening graphics files....

Alex Roberts wrote:

> I'm writing a tile based game, and want to load the tiles from a graphic file
> on the drive (probably a BMP, the dos port loads from those)...
>
> how would i go about loading a BMP file with GGI?
> i looked through the GGV source for help, but coudln't get anywhere with it,
> too confusing (sorry ;)...

Use a pre-written library that will load the data into memory, then you
write that data into a visual, and voila! It's loaded in ready for
manipulation. LibGGI doesn't parse binary format images, that's your
job. I don't know whether there are any BMP libraries for Linux but you
could save on the size of the game by converting your images to PNG.

> i've got the devel source, (KGI is nice, but cannot get a fbcon/KGI target og
> libggi to compile tho :-/ ) if that's any help...

You use KGIcon currently, not KGI - there is an important difference.
What hardware do you have, what options did you use for your kernel
build? What kernel are you using? and what did you choose when you
compiled KGIcon and the driver for your hardware?

> Thanks
> --
> | Alex Roberts      |  |__][__ |___    \ |
> | bse@dial.pipex.com|  |__]___]|___    /\|
> | I live in England, and I'm proud of it |

Ra! Englands green and pleasant lands forever!

--
Tristan Wibberley