  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:04:59 +1000

Re: Debugging kgicon (vga and S3Virge)

Andy writes:

>  > When I insmod the vga-driver, the debug info is also sent to the main
>  > screen, but there I can see something, but for some reason the characters
>  > mix up and are enlarged very much, each real pixel is about 8 or 16 pixels
>  > horizontal on my screen, and
>  > one real line is two lines on my screen, so that mode is unusable.
>
>  Yes - this is a problem related to the wrong rendring lib being used.
>  The card is in planar-4 mode, but not used this way.

Nod.  Fbcon doesn't have a ModeX renderer, and seeing that it has to
switch banks in a driver-dependent way, it probably won't anytime soon.

[Also the VGA driver is broken, thinking it can do 640x400x8 when it
really can't].

>  > Can anyone help me with this ? I'd like to help debugging and testing.
>
>  Something that works is changing the default mode in fbcon-kgi.c to
>
>  int kgicon_width   = 320;    /* initial geometry */
>  int kgicon_height  = 200;
>  int kgicon_bpp     = 8;

Or put the parameters on the insmod command line, as in:

    insmod kgicon.o kgicon_width=320 kgicon_height=200

>  List: Does the 1 BPP renderer work ?

Yep, with the standard VGA driver it works like a charm.  E.g. :

    insmod kgicon.o kgicon_bpp=1

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/