  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:06:58 +0200

Re: Open list of issues before Degas goes out

WHS wrote:

> becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> >
> > Hi !

> > > I though that was settled.
> >
> > O.K. - what was the settlement ?
>
> I think everyone agreed that the kernel modules and evstack code should
> be BSD-2 /X style (or your suggested license) so it can be used in both
> Linux and *BSD, but the main problem w.r.t licensing is the unresolved
> libggi license (yes, this was NOT resolved contary to what some think).

The last time the license issue was up someone suggested LGPL for both
libggi and the kernel parts. Between 5 and 10 people said "OK", and
noone objected.

> libggi=LGPL means GGI won't become generally used on *BSD (and I for one
> am no longer interested in Linux only projects), and that would really
> suck.

Huh? Ask the BSD people what compiler they use, and you'll find
out that they have no problem at all with GPLed _userspace_ software.
AFAIK the problem with GPL and BSD is that GPLed code may only be
linked against GPLed code. With LGPL you don't have that problem,
so I can't see that LGPL should be a problem for BSD kernel code
either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se