  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:53:12 +0000

Re: GT_2BIT?

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Amiga can do 1-8 bitplanes. Atari does 1/2/4/8/16 interleaved bitplanes, NeXT
> has 2 bpp greyscale.
>
> Even if you know that you have an 8 bpp screen, how do you know that it's
> packed, bitplanes, interleaved bitplanes? And then I'm not talking about
> endianness (e.g. packed 4 bpp is 2 pixels in 1 byte: AB or BA?).

With the old scheme that kgicon uses you don't know...
With the new scheme that libggi uses you know from the scheme
if it is a greyscale, palette or a truecolor mode. Whether it's
packed, bitplanes or interleaved is a property of the framebuffer
which you query with ggiDBGetBuffer()

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se