  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
  Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:25:12 -0700 (MST)

Re: libggi not working ...

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Sven wrote:

> > I suppose you call this from the configure script to write to a file
> > whether the system is big/little endian, and use that in the makefile
> > with -D
>

> have you ever compiled some gnu stuff ?
>
> what you do is a ./configure, who create the right Makefile,
> after that you can easily build the system, with make && make install.
>
> check the hello world gnu package at :
>
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hello-1.3.tar.gz
>
> for an example how to use it .
>
> i can't believe you are developping something as important as libggi,
> and don't know what exactly is going one when you configure lets say
> gcc.

Easy - libGGI isn't just supposed to compile on GNU!

AFAIK it compiles under Sun's compiler, SGI's compiler (last I heard) plus
a few others and I'm thinking of munging it up to compile under Visual
C++!

None of these platforms support GNU's autoconf utilities.... (unless you
install them....  and that's kind of irritating.. and makes for -big-
downloads when libGGI is so small)

This is -not- a GNU-only world....

G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis

PS: these aren't really my opinions.  I could care less.  I'm willing to
install GNU utils on my win-blows-98 system... though requiring GNU tools
is silly except on platforms that are based on GNU to begin with (Linux,
BSD, et al)