  From: Roland Nagtegaal <roland@tschai.demon.nl>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:55:20 +0200

Re: Automatic CVS logs?

Todd T. Fries wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 10:15:23AM +0200, Hartmut Niemann wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Would it be possible/interesting for you, if we got a dayly
> > autogenerated message from the CVS system with
> > all file change log messages with -who did it- and -what files are
> > affected- and -the reason given-?
> >
> > It would be only one more message on this list, and it would give
> > people a quick overview what changed in the tree.
> >
> > Possible?
> >
> > Comments?

Have you ever looked at the tools that are used and developed at
mozilla.org ? In particular LXR, Tinderbox and Bonsai.
Take a look at http://www.mozilla.org/tools.html
I don't want to advertise it, but it sounds as if could be very
useful for any open source project.

A short quote:

      development tools

This page lists the various development tools that we operate and/or
maintain here at
mozilla.org. Naturally, source code for all of these tools is also
available.

1.CVS.
You can check out the source using CVS. If you are doing active
development, this is the preferred method, as it lets you get up-to-the
minute changes. Details are on our CVS page.

2.LXR.
You can browse the up-to-the-minute latest version of the source code
online, through a massively hyperlinked source code browser that lets
you cross-reference function and variable names. Check out the Mozilla
Cross-Reference page for details.

3.Bonsai.
Bonsai is tree control (get it?) It is our our home-grown web-based tool
for watching
the up-to-the-minute goings-on in our CVS repository (viewing checkins
and log messages, reading diffs, etc.) Check out the Bonsai page for
details.

4.Tinderbox.
Tinderbox is for knowing when the tree is in flames. It is our our
home-grown web-based tool for watching the progress of the continuous
builds that we run on multiple platforms. It is how we are able to tell
when a checkin has broken the build on some platform, and how we know
which person needs to be viciously flogged. See the Tinderbox page for
more.

5.Bugzilla.
Bugzilla is where developers can report bugs in the Mozilla source
releases, and browse an online database of already-reported bugs. More
information is on the Bugzilla page.

                UNIX isn't dead, it just smells funny...
                 Run Linux! Keep The Net Free!