  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:16:20 +1000

Re: Time for a stable version release ?

Marcus writes:

>  Andrew Apted wrote:
>  > Also I'd like to straighten up the namespace a bit, the
>  > GGI_KV_xyzzy stuff is inconsistent with the GGI_KEY_XYZZY stuff.
>  > What is the most agreeable one ?  I think I'd prefer GGI_KEY_Enter,
>  > GGI_KEY_Escape, GGI_KEY_PageDown, etc...
>
>  I'd prefer GGI_Escape, GGI_PageDown (or possibly GGIK_Escape, etc)
>  An eight character prefix is a little bit overkill to me, and I don't
>  think users will try to use GGI_PageDown as a graphtype anyway. ;)

GGIK_* sounds OK to me (I think we're bound to clash with something
sooner or later with just GGI_*).

>  > As for ASCII keys, I'd rather we remove the GGI_KV_A (etc) and use 'A'
>  > and so on, and just keep the non-ascii Latin-1 ones, such as
>  > GGI_KEY_NoBreakSpace, GGI_KEY_Aacute, GGI_KEY_Ntilde, etc...  The
>  > rationale is that 'A' is so much easier to write & understand than
>  > its GGI_* counterpart.
>
>  Well, as I said before, I'm probably not the only one that doesn't
>  know how to type an "asciicircum" or "adiearesis".

But who can remember those names ?  Isn't it easier to just type '^'
that to load up the keyboard.h file, find the appropriate name
(GGI_KV_Kiicircum in this case) and then type that into the program ?

I'm mainly opposed to the GGI_KV_A and GGI_KV_parenleft (etc) which is
overkill IMHO since it's much saner to just use 'A' and '('.  For
hard-to-type characters, having defines are good, no question there.

[Hmmm, I wonder where you got those KV names from ? :-))  I think we
should use different names than X so there is no copyright issues].

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/