  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:10:04 +0200 (MEST)

Re: SYNC mode should go

Hi !

> > >  Honestly, we should really drop SYNC mode...

> Note: for DOS people, DirectBuffer is what they want anyways.   Open a
> mem-visual on a directbuffer (can that be done?) and you'll have the same
> effect (SYNC mode).  No accels but some people would be happier.

Bang. Teunis - you have been with us for a long time ... but even you
stepped in exactly the trap I predicted.

If you run such a program on X, it will display a black eagle on black
background.

> ... on most cards accels share with this properly.  Some (S3 805 comes to
> mind) aren't as friendly IIRC but I could be wrong.

Yep. That _is_ the problem. You run it on kgi and all is well. You run it
on X and you are screwed.

> PS: I vote with the "take the SYNC out and put it in a toolkit/extension"
> crowd.

This is really difficult. It doesn't do away with the locking.

CU,Andy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =