  From: WolfWings ShadowFlight <wolfwings@lightspeed.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 00:11:48 -0700 (PDT)

Re: GT_2BIT?

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Andrew Apted wrote:

>>  Any particular reason why GT_2BIT isn't defined in <kgi/types.h> ?
>
>2. Because no KGI videocard to date actually has such a mode.  I think
>it's mainly some m68k hardware that can do this (e.g. mac and acorn).

Actually, anything running in the plain old VGA 640x480 videomode can do
such a videomode without any changes at all, simply enable all planes, or
if you want to be really sneaky, use each plane as a seperate "page" and
then do flipping from one bit-plane to another, requires all of two port
writes, one to an index, one to the value register. }:>

And, *gasp* heaven forbid we support the CGA card I have in the "portable
desktop" machine I have Linux installed on as my travel-puter ATM. ;-)

Then again, the very fact that I have a fully internet-ready box set up on
a 20M HD and running on a 486SX8 CPU is rather disgusting to consider in
the first place.
             _
     _     _|_  WolfWings "I like to point out stupid stuff" ShadowFlight
|_|_| |_|_| | |  She needs to fly...
 _           /   Let all the hurt,
 \-.______,-'    Inside of you die..." - Madonna, Frozen