  From: mentalg@geocities.com
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:58:53 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Open list of issues before Degas goes out

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:

> > * Licensing issues
>
> 	Everything is GPLed now and can't be relicensed except by the
> original author(s).  And they can use multiple licenses.  I honestly
> don't see the license issue as needing to be resolved right now.

actually, LGPLed, I think.

> > * Obviously, decide something on that synchronous rendering topic.
>
> 	The consensus seems to be that ASYNC mode has to be made the
> default and SYNC mode be emulated with a target, right?

Eh, basically the SYNC stuff gets removed from libggi proper, and we make a
little helper library that basically spawns a thread and calls ggiFlush() a
lot.

> > * Potentially, this autoconf/automake issue.
>
> 	No, not again! |->

I've had a fair amount of experience with both by now; I'd be willing to
help out with that as soon as I get through this locking stuff.

I think autoconf is definitely appropriate for LibGGI, although I still have
mixed feelings about automake.  libtool might make building for static
platforms a good deal easier, too, but it's hard work to set up without
automake. Although actually we lose many of the advantages of LibGGI if we
aren't dynamically linking, and there _are_ quite a few dynamic linking (and
pthreads) packages for DOS out there now.

-=MenTaLguY=-