  From: James A Simmons <jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 21:22:20 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Time for a stable version release ?

> 	Yes.  Lock the devel repository at midnight GMT with a cron job
> when the code freeze starts and dump it to the stable repository.  Then
> for a week everyone fixes bugs in the stable tree and at the end of the
> month the next stable release is released and dumped back into the devel
> kernel and we all start hacking again.  Sound OK?

Yes. Great idea. I like the sound of cvsweb.

> > Are there any major code issues to solve for that? kgicon seems to
> > work well, so does libggi and the demos. If there is any issue that
> > needs fixing before the release, please speak up now.
>
> 	I just broke the Glide target |-/.  I was(am) trying to use the
> Linux_common event handling code and it is locking the console.  C-A-D
> works, but VT switching does not.  I would like to know why it is
> possible for non-root userspace code to disable VT switching and the
> magic SysRq key handling!!!

Thats bad, Is the linux console code that bad?

> > If there are no pending objections, we should start the code freeze
> > sunday night, and only work on bugfixes till next sunday, then update
> > the stable CVS tree and replace the putrescent 0.0.9 tarball by it.

Agreed.

> 	Hang on to the 0.0.9 tree *somewhere*.  I wonder... do wo have
> all past GGI source snapshots?  Everything from scrdrv.tgz to 0.0.9?  Who
> here remebers working with source packages named "newscr-0.0.7" and the
> like? |->
If there are bury them deep. Only ggi memebers should have access to this.
Wht would the public want this. Give it to them only if they ask for it.

> > You all have been doing an awesome work lately, and we seriously need
> > to make it easily available instead of having people get our old
> > hacks ;)
>
> 	PUBLICITY!  EXPOSURE!  Sorry for shouting, but we **NEED** to get
> eyeballs.  Every freakin' month when that next stable release comes out,
> we need:
>
> * A comp.os.linux.announce announcement
>
> * A freshmeat announcement
>
> * A linux-kernel announcement
>
> * Fresh tarballs (gzip and bzip2 versions), RPMs and DEBs of separate
> LibGGI, LibGGI2D, LibGGI3D, LibGWT and kgicon packages should be
> generated automagically.
>
> * A nice-looking website announcement masthead ("what's new", etc) should
> be automagically generated also.

YES WE NEED TO DO THIS. I have gone to news groups to try and recrut
people to try our stuff. Especailly m68k and ppc people. I like pushing
portablitiy. This is what's most important for us. This is why I like
to say WE NEED TO POST BINIARIES. I had several people from the news group
give up because they we new to linux and didn't know how to compile
things. If it broke that really scared them.

Here is a good example. I had Mesa 2.5 for glide. I downloaded Mesa 2.6
source since thats all they had at the time. I tried to compile it but the
compile falied. What did I do. I didn't feel like tracking down this bug
so I just got rid of it and stayed with 2.5. Of course I don't care for
Mesa but besides the point. My people who don't know the power of ggi and
can't compile it will think who cares and will delete it.

> 	We need to make it *easy* for people to use GGI. We need to make
> GGI look attractive.  The less work they have to do to get and use GGI,
> the better off we are. Open-source development is to some degree a
> competition between various projects for developer talent, much like the
> real world.  And in the real world, developers are wooed.  We need to woo
> people for the health of our project.

Yes. Binary distributions.

> > Mr. Chris Meadors, are you still alive too? Website stills hows
> > "aug 3: penguinplay irc meeting"....
>
> 	People notice that sort of thing.  I tells the reader that this
> project is not advancing very rapidly when in fact the opposite is true.
> A s---load of progress has been made since August 3!!!

Yes. Is the web guy around.