  From: KC5TJA <kc5tja@topaz.axisinternet.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Libggi and KGI (was: Re: kgi vs. fbcon)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> But then we have to think whether we want to have people write
> _applications_ on top of libggi, or to port _existing toolkits_ to it.
> Would it be possible to port GTK or Qt to use Libggi instead of X?

I don't know about Qt, but GTK is HEAVILY X dependent.  Throughout its
source code, there's all sorts of nasty X-isms.

I recommend finding a way to port Photon MicroGUI to GGI...now THAT would
be cool!  Especially if we could somehow make a free (GPL) version of it.

> The most important application I could currently think of is an
> X server that uses libggi and libggi2d primitives wherever possible.
> This would make working on the accelleration really interesting :-)

The most important application that *I* can think of is personal
productivity software.  I personally find windows annoying and a
distraction to my work.  I'd rather switch VCs.  However, I also prefer a
WYSIWYG display.  This is why I'm interested in GGI.  I don't like X
partially because of its massive proliferation of windows when running
many applications at once.

I suppose this is one reason I liked the Amiga as well -- each application
typically opened its own screen to run on, so it made visual organization
much easier to handle.

      KC5TJA/6     |                  -| TEAM DOLPHIN |-
        DM13       |                  Samuel A. Falvo II
    QRP-L #1447    |          http://www.dolphin.openprojects.net