  From: Hartmut Niemann <niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:21:30 +0200 (MESZ)

Re: SYNC mode should go

Andy wrote:

> I actually do not see a big problem in the SYNC mode. We can either use
> signals (ugly, yes), or spawn off a thread if compiled in a multithreaded
> environment.
>
> The point is, that the "innocent" newbie user can hack away without having
> to learn what ggiFlush() is good for and why it is needed and where it should
> be put, while it is a matter of a few extra instructions (a SetFlags and a
> bunch of Flush()es), to set things right lateron.
>
> I still think, that for "QuickHack"(TM) things, SYNC mode is a nice thing,
> because you won't forget to put a Flush() before the Getch() or something.
>
> Yes - for real games and such, one should use ASYNC mode, as one should
> use double-buffering etc. . I'd even say it might be a good idea to put
> some "Debug: Warning - application uses SYNC mode which might impact
> performance." somewhere in a DPRINT ...
>
> O.K. - enough said - this all boils down to:
>
> I would like to keep SYNC mode for psychological reasons to make LibGGI
> more popular for those people that have only used synchronous libs before.

That's a very good point.
Sync is convenient for starting, and much better than some
#define MyDraw(x,y,x2,y2) ggiDrawLine(vis,x,y,x2,y2);ggiFlush(vis)
a beginner might come up with. So Andy is probably right and
it should stay in (and the default) for 'small' and 'beginner' applications.

> CU,ANdy
>
> --
> Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>

Hartmut.
--
Hartmut Niemann   --   niemann(a)cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
http://cip2.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de:8080/hyplan/niemann/index_en.html [/ggi]