  From: Jim Ursetto <ursetto@uiuc.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:21:27 -0500

Re: SYNC mode should go

At 01:31 AM on 1998 September 10, Marcus Sundberg did write:

> Actually we should REALLY go all the way and introduce framebuffer
> lock/unlock calls into libggi. I've suggested this before as it would
> eliminate the problem with accessing accel engine/framebuffer at the
> same time.
>
> And there are other reasons for this too:
> DirectX depends on a lock/unlock system. If libggi don't have this we'd
> have to use a mansync hack here, and in that case we can forget about
> porting to win32 right now as noone would ever use it.

Offhand (and this may be completely irrelevant): I seem to remember
someone (probably Kendall Bennett) a long time ago bringing up the issue
of locking under DirectX and how the Windows way of doing it was a total
kludge and had programmers crying from the stress of dealing with it.  And
I think he said the MGL library got around this.

Yes, I'm pretty sure this discussion arose about 9 months ago after I put
some acceleration support in the et6000 driver and noticed the funny
effects ASYNC mode had if I didn't let the accel engine complete before
granting access to the framebuffer.  Ah, naïveté :) Unfortunately I don't
have a copy of the thread any more...  but this is just a heads-up in case
anyone wants to look at the comments that were made oh-so-long ago.

--
Jim Ursetto        | You don't tug on Superman's cape
ursetto@uiuc.edu   | You don't spit into the wind