  From: mentalg@geocities.com
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:23:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: kgi vs. fbcon

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, MenTaLguY wrote:

> To put it another way, fbcon gives access in terms of consoles, KGI in terms
> of individual VCs.  It would be interesting to see if fbcon could be adapted
> to using individual device files for the various VCs (probably in addition
> to the /dev/fb* devices).

> The individual VC devices could unmmap the framebuffer device
> memory/registers when that VC was switched away, as well as doing
> appropriate framebuffer clearing/resetting.  The /dev/fb* devices could
> stay on and act as they do already, and so keep working fine for the
> programs that already use them.

I feel silly commenting on my own message, but the more I think about it,
the more I think maybe that really should be pursued in fbcon.  I dunno.
Geert, what do you think?

We'd still need a login that'll appropriately change modes.  Too bad we
don't typically have something as configurable in that regard as I
understand the BSD login is... BSD has some really nice stuff (on the system
software side) that is worthy of adoption, or at least imitation.

-=MenTaLguY=-