  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 21:54:42 +0200

Re: SVGA monitor .. black on black

Jason Twamley wrote:

> Hi..well things are getting there..
> just downloaded todays snapshot. loaded kgicon..
> noticed that if I attempt to specify a multisync monitor the screen
> hangs after insertion. SVGA works though.

This shouln't happen, but IIRC other people have reported this too.
All I can say is that it works for me. :-(

> recompiled the libggi stuf..and installed it.
> Most of the demos seem to work except checkmode and a few others.
> If I run checkmode right after insmoding kgimod
> the screen goes black on black for all consoles.
>
> I can do
> >fbset -g 800 600 800 600 8
> but not
> >fbset -g 832 624 832 624 8
> ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: No such file or directory
> in fact the highest I can get is 800 600
> is this somehow related to the fact that I specified a SVGA monitor?

Was it the monosync SVGA driver? By the looks of it it should be able
to do 1024x768. Don't know what might be wrong here.

> Also, how do I go about interfacing this now with X ? Ca I use XF86_SVGA
> or do I need XF86_DGA ?
> I am looking to do multiheading.. is it correct that with my Matrox Millenium
> II
> either of the above X server will not work? I have heard that Metro-X
> works? Xggi seems not completed as yet so I dont want to try that.
> Any advice there?

MetroX works fine, and XF86_SVGA does not work with the Millennium
kgicon driver. I don't know what XF86_DGA is. Maybe you mean XF68_FBDev?

XF68_FBDev works, but is unaccelerated and only runs in 8bpp.
The latter was fixed by someone very recently IIRC, but the former
is not likely to change for a long time, due to the nature of fbcon
(unless someone ports XF68_FBDev to use the native KGI ioctls that
is...)

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se