  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 22:06:10 +0200

Re: generic monitor test result

James A Simmons wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
>
> > James A Simmons wrote:
> > Well,
> > 1. XF68_FBDev won't run without being root.
>
> I was hoping kgicon was like evstack. No need for root to do graphics.

kgicon is just a wrapper for fbcon, so it requires root privs just like
normal fbcon drivers. But my hope is that we can slowly work around
this as KGI itself was designed to work without being root.

> > Yes, default.h is not meant to work for anyone. It's just there
> > so people can compile the driver. You either have to replace the
> > default or set the parameters after inserting the module.
> >

> Okay I will try this. By the way is their any srtandard kgi_monitor,
> timings we could use on any system. Then the user could alter these
> standard settings.

Well, the timelist or monosync monitors should work on all systems.

I'm working on a program that will handle setting of monitor
parameters in a nice way. But I got into a sidetrack when doing
the makefile for that util, so currently I'm learning automake/autoconf
to see if we can use that for libggi. ;)

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se