  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 22:49:49 +0000

Re: generic monitor test result

James A Simmons wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
>
> > James A Simmons wrote:
> > >
> > > I managed to get it to work with some patching. The diffs are below. The
> > > reason I disabled the kgi_monitor commands is one to make it compile.
> >
> > What was it that prevented it from compiling?
>
> Good thing I keep originals.

[snip]

> generic.c:28: `montyp_timelist' undeclared here (not in a function)
> generic.c:28: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> generic.c: In function `kgim_monitor_init':
> generic.c:562: `montyp_monosync' undeclared (first use this function)
> generic.c:562: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> generic.c:562: for each function it appears in.)
> generic.c:565: `montyp_timelist' undeclared (first use this function)
> generic.c:568: `montyp_multisync' undeclared (first use this function)
> generic.c:571: warning: unreachable code at beginning of switch statement
> generic.c: In function `kgim_monitor_command':
> generic.c:608: `MONITOR_SETTYPE' undeclared (first use this function)

[snip]

You haven't CVS-updated the degas/kgicon/include dir.

> > > Also I'm tring to see if we
> > > could use sysctl to work the monitor (this should be in fbcon-kgi.c).
> >
> > sysctl is not a replacement for ioctl(), it's just a complement for
> > things that should be easily tuneable.
> >
> Yes. I was just think of a way not to use suser. I thought of this problem
> too. What if you have XF86Config and say XF68FB_DEV tries to use the
> monitor ioctl calls to use the modeline configuration. Now you have to set
> the Server as root again to use certain ioctl calls. Please correct me if
> I'm thinking wrong.

Well,
1. XF68_FBDev won't run without being root.
2. Monitor parameters should not be changeable by anyone else than root,
   this has nothing to do with sysctl vs. ioctl to do.

And when it comes to portability it's no problem to implement a suser()
function call in the OS specific part of KGI if the drivers are used
outside kgicon.

> > >   Now the results. When I did a insmod kgicon my display shrunk in the
> > > horizontal direction and was half way down the monitor. It also was
> > > jumping up and down on the monitor.
> >
> > Does the monitor setting you used work when compiled into one of
> > the old drivers?
>
> No I didn't change the settings in default.h. Perhaps I should try setting
> them to the same ones in timelist/monitors.c with __VGA_ defined. The
> timelist monitor worked before.

Yes, default.h is not meant to work for anyone. It's just there
so people can compile the driver. You either have to replace the
default or set the parameters after inserting the module.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se