  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 11:12:16 +1000

Re: vision-driver

Jan writes:

>  BTW:
>  'echo "blubber" > /dev/fb1' should give some garbage on the screen, no ??
>  a 'cat /dev/fb1' gives me the 'blubber' back which means that the text
>  entered some memory, but oviously not the gfx-card-mem because the screen
>  stays black.

It could be that the palette is all-black.  Another possibility is that
the origin is somewhere down from the top (so the blubber is out of
view).  Like Marcus suggested, try "copy big-binary-file /dev/fb1" and
see if that shows anything.

BTW, vgafb is now gone from the VGER tree (and soon from Linus' tree),
so I recommend people don't use it anymore.

BTW II, I've seen the "white screen after insmod" thing, and I'm fairly
sure it is NOT kgicon's fault but something to do with the way fbcon
inherits the screenbuf from vgacon [there are bugs WRT taking over the
fg_console].

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/