  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 15:38:44 +0000

Re: kgicon on PPC (yes, I finally tried)

becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> > I finally tried kgicon on my CHRP box with S3 Vision968
> > (2 MB VRAM, IBM RGB526 RAMDAC).
>
> Oh - good ... finally some real portability tests !
>
> >   - The card autodetect script failed. /proc/pci no longer exists.
>
> Hmm - so we'll need to add some way to parse the new file ...
> Well - we already have 3 methods, a fourth one won't hurt too much ...

I've hacked up a script parse the new /proc/bus/pci/devices file,
and I just added some final touches and commited.

It also has some improvements over all the other detection methods:
* The card database is separated from the script, so you can use
  any program/script for the detection.
* The above also makes the DB more compact.
* It detects all PCI cards and lets the user choose which one to
  build a driver for.

Currently the DB only contains Matrox cards, S3 Trio and some Cirrus
cards, as I do NOT want untested stuff blindly copied from the
old PCI database.

So everyone that has _sucessfully_ run kgicon on a PCI card, please
send me the following:
* The configfile you used for kgicon.
* Your /proc/bus/pci/devices file
* The full name of the card as well as the vendor name.

(And everyone that has one of the above mentioned cards, please try
kgicon/util/pcidetect)

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se