  From: Jos Hulzink <josh@stack.nl>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:02:56 +0100 (CET)

Re: default/fbdev/s3/virge.so

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Jon M. Taylor wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Andreas Beck wrote:
>
> > > To get acceleration to work, I had to disable ping pong
> > > buffers. Before I did, I got this message from GGI_DEBUG=255 ./demo:
> > >    GGI_genkgi_drawbox() called
> > >    Terminating on signal 11.
> >
> > YES ! GRRR ! I got that yesterday, too after recompiling LibGGI to trace
> > a portability problem.

When will PP really work on the GenKGI system ?

ViRGE doesn't know 32 bpp accelleration (so say the books... Jon ?) It is
a bug in the driver that it does accel here. The accelleration driver
doesn't support the clipping at the moment. I still stay with my opinion
that the way coloursetting and clipping is treated by GGI is completely
nonsense. It forces me to do at least 6 if-statements for every accel call
made (check: fg colour, bg colour, clip left, clip right, clip top clip
bottom) and one programming GGI must do ugly tricks to get his lines and
boxes in the colour he wants.

Maybe you say pfft.. another six if-statements... as an Electrical
Engineer I can tell you: The if-statements are the worst nightmare of
chipdesigners.

Jos