  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:40:52 -0800 (PST)

Re: default/fbdev/s3/virge.so

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Andreas Beck wrote:

> > To get acceleration to work, I had to disable ping pong
> > buffers. Before I did, I got this message from GGI_DEBUG=255 ./demo:
> >    GGI_genkgi_drawbox() called
> >    Terminating on signal 11.
>
> YES ! GRRR ! I got that yesterday, too after recompiling LibGGI to trace
> a portability problem.

	Hm.  PP buffers are supposed to be disabled by default.  Somehow
genkgi.h got comitted with GENKGI_US_PPBUF #defined instead of #undefed.
This has been fixed and comitted, and the ChangeLog updated as well. Sorry
about that.

> Whoever added it to the kgi drawing code:
>
> THIS IS NOT how this should be done.

	I know.  There should be helperlibs for the genkgi target for each
alternate kgicommand comminucations mechanism (ioctl, PP bufs, fixed DMA
buffers, network remoting, etc).  Each mechanism should be hidden behind
the same macros, like KGI_COMMAND_PUT() or similar.

> PP is an _alternate_ communications mechanism.
>
> Make _another_ file for it, that gets tried when loading the KGI helpers,
> checks if the drivers supports PP buffers, shuts up and unloads if not, or
> overrides the "normal" method, if yes.

	Yes, this is what should be done.

Jon

---