  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: 24 Nov 1999 01:20:59 +0100

Re: More Gx00 code for those truely insane.

wlfshmn@earthlink.net writes:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 10:19:41AM -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> > Here is something to think about. It was recently discussed on the linux
> > kernel mailing list. Their are now hot swappable pci cards. Yes you can
> > plug in pci cards without rebooting the machine. I know Compaq now has
> > such machines. It looks like a way to rescan the pci bus needs to be done.
> > I don't know the details since I don't have the PCI specs from intel.
> >

> I assume this is a change both in Bus and Card, so existing PCI cards don't
> have to cope with beeing ripped out and replugged do they?
>
> If it's jusut for cards explicitly designed to do so, fine, but if it's for
> anyone, we would need to check if we are still alive before each card
> access? including framebuffer and accel engine that doesn't sound like much
> fun...

I'm not sure excactly how the hardware works, but you should
most probably not think USB-style PnP. Rather something like
hot-pluggable harddrives; if you have a mounted filsystem on the
drive when it's removed - tough luck.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se