  From: James Simmons <jsimmons@edgeglobal.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:19:41 -0500 (EST)

Re: More Gx00 code for those truely insane.

> * Don't use pcicfg space for other purposes than initial configuration.
>   Especially do not use it in _mode_setup() to distinguish device versions.
>   Use flags or a chipset_version field in the <meta>_t structure instead.

Here is something to think about. It was recently discussed on the linux
kernel mailing list. Their are now hot swappable pci cards. Yes you can
plug in pci cards without rebooting the machine. I know Compaq now has
such machines. It looks like a way to rescan the pci bus needs to be done.
I don't know the details since I don't have the PCI specs from intel.