  From: Brian S. Julin <bri@tull.umassp.edu>
  To  : Andreas Beck <becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de>
  Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:11:12 -0500 (EST)

Re: Idea: Form for bug reports ?

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Andreas Beck wrote:
> Is there such a package out there ?

The Debian "bug" program and the OpenBSD "sendbug" utility
both use e-mail to report bugs.  Not a complete solution
for us, because we need more detailed hardware info (Debian
bugs are usually mostly software related.)  However, if we
want to provide a script for people to report bugs with,
we should look into the source code of these for some pointers
and workarounds to common problems e.g. how to find the
user's preferred text editor.

A web-to-mail form would be nice, too, but given the nature of
our software, something that doesn't require a browser
might be useful for some people (they could even be limited
to a "dumb" terminal emulation in some cases), plus allow
the system data collection to be automated.

--
Brian