  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 22:47:07 +0200

Re: XGGI user info

Bob Barry wrote:

> I've been battling to find command line syntax acceptable to XGGI.
>
> I found that "-targets fbdev:/dev/fb0" works, and "-targets fbdev:/dev/fb1"
> works, but "-targets fbdev:/dev/fb0:fbdev:/dev/fb1" does not work and
> "-targets (fbdev:/dev/fb0):(fbdev:/dev/fb1)" does not work.  I've tried many
> other combinations, but can't find an acceptable multihead syntax.

The correct syntax is
XGGI -targets "(fbdev:/dev/fb0):(fbdev:-noinput -novt:/dev/fb1)"

The quotes are because the shell parses parentheses, and the
-noinput -novt is because you only want one of the targets trying
to read keyboard/mouse and handle VT switching.

But there seems to be problems with having one single application
using two framebuffer devices at the same time. I will investigate
this further.

> XGGI seems happy with "-modes 640x480x8", but any other mode option
> causes strange behaviour and stretched or chopped images.

LibGGI 2.0beta2 did not read the /etc/fb.modes database to find out
timings, effectively making it impossible to change resolutions in
the fbdev target unless you are using a KGIcon driver. This is fixed
in current snapshots and in the soon to be released beta2.1.

> Should the row syntax be "-rows 2" or "-rows=2" or "rows = 2" or ???

All options to XGGI and other X servers are on the format
-option value
thus it's:
-rows 2

> Please give example command lines for multihead operation of
> each XGGI option, and include them in the  introduction document.

Ok, I'll make things a little clearer for the next XGGI release.

> You mentioned "drop-in Xfree replacement version" in recent mail; where and
> when will this be available?

RSN ;)
Note that drop-in replacement means that you can start it with
startx/xinit/xdm just as an XFree server, not that anything in
/etc/XF86Config
is honored.

Also note that xinit of recent XFree releases uses the suid XWrapper
to start the X server with root privs.

You do _NOT_ under any circumstances want to run XGGI or any other
LibGGI application suid root. Doing that is equivalent to giving
all users on the system root accounts!

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se