  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 22:31:23 +0000

Re: XF86FBDev Debian binary

Joseph Carter wrote:
> What happens is that it starts the server with a totally screwed up
> graphics mode, totally wrong colors (looking like the thing is using 16
> colors and trying to dither or something) and ONLY 640x480 works.
> Anything more or less causes problems for it, resulting in the display
> having the lines wrapping around...  ie, if I move the cursor to the
> upper left corner and move it down a bit, it quickly goes off screen.  If
> I move the cursor instead to the right it goes right off the screen and
> back onto the left side of the screen again, just a pixel below...
>
> If that doesn't make sense, someone else described the problem more
> clearly.
>
> And it doesn't happen/works normally with -noxfreeemu, I can set any mode
> I want that way...  (I think I'm limited to 1024x768 someone said, but I
> didn't try to get 1152x864 working on it..)

Ok, I think this should be fixed now (fixes affect fbdev target and
the linvtsw helper).

Problem was that when running on a separate VT we opened the framebuffer
before switching VTs and didn't give up the old controlling tty (on
the console the app was started from). That used to cause mode changes
and palette changes to be done to the console XGGI was started from
instead of the console that XGGI ran on, causing all sorts of weird
behaviour.

Another minor compability problem was that XGGI didn't support the
-bpp option, causing it to immediately terminate with an error message
if you used that in your xinit script. This will be fixed in XGGI 1.6.1.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se