  From: David A Jenkins <dj@wn2-ultra.wndev.att.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:29:06 -0400 (EDT)

newbie XGGI problem

Folks,

I'm trying to use Crystal Space and I wasn't impressed with its
performance over X (frames per second isn't too high on a Pentium
MMX 166mhz, like 5-7 walking around, but less than 1 inside of 'fog').
I hoped that XGGI would be faster, due to more direct access to the
frame buffer, but I can't get it to start.  Am I wrong?  Do XF86's
SVGA driver's acceleration benefit more than direct access to the
frame buffer.

I'm running Linux 2.2.7.
I've grabbed the source for libgii-0.5, compiled and installed it.
I've grabbed the source for libggi-2.0b2, compiled it (where does it install?).
I've grabbed the source for kgi-0.9.990428, compiled and installed it and
	the kernel.
I've grabbed the fullsource for xggi-1.6.0, compiled and installed it.

When I try to run:

export GGI_DEBUG=255 # seems to have no effect
export GGI_DISPLAY=fbdev:0
XGGI

I get:

_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

I'm sure no X server is running.  Most of the libgii/libggi demos
seem to work.  Searching DejaNews doesn't help on this problem.
Searching the GGI faq's doesn't give me much info on XGGI and its
setup.  Do I need to have XF86FBdev?  Do I need kgi?  With and without
kgi I'm getting the same problem, but when I try to compile the
drivers under kgi it doesn't seem to compile.  kgi's configure seems
to have guessed my video card wrong.

So, what obvious thing have I done wrong?

	Dave
--
Dave Jenkins - dj@wnmail.att.com