  From: David Waite <mass@ufl.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:30:04 -0400

Re: GGI and Hurd.

----- Original Message -----
From: Steffen Seeger <s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
To: <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 1999 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: GGI and Hurd.

> > It seems that the Hurd guys are very receptive to the idea
> > of GGI.
>
> What source information is this statement based on? :-))

Them saying (was it Marcus on the list who said it?) "Those GGI guys really
should work over here.. things would be a lot easier and nicer here.."

Ugg, incorrect quoting of probably the wrong person. Good thing there aren't
any lawyers around ;-)

> > Who's is/wants to work on this and how may I be of
> > assistance?
>
> I could use the help of someone working on a HURD port of the
> KGI environment. Just to prove portability of the display drivers.
> The first thing to do would be a little summary
> how consoles currently done under Hurd, and what the future
> plans are.

The console is _currently_ just a userland program, I believe it is called
'term'. They may move in the linux console code soon, directly into
gnumach.. which sounds like a horrible idea to me personally but will at
least give much better console support.

> > I must warn you, I've not much experience with
> > Hurd, but I'm a proficient Linux programmer. (At least
> > that's what I tell all the girls. :) )
>
> A little summary how to contact resposible persons of the HURD team,
> how to get up-to-date development snapshots, etc. would be useful.
>
> Also, what's their position towards UDI?

I don't know if they even have a position. Hurd seems to be horribly short
on programmers. Something like ten active people working on it total.

Really a shame, but the next release of it will be by debian, so while it
won't be as mature as linux, it will at least have all the programs and a
nice installer :) I hope having more working programs will attract more
people to spiff it up.

debian-hurd@lists.debian.org is the main devel list, I suppose queries about
adding GGI/KGI support (as well as where to get the more recent versions of
things) would go there. on debian's site there is a directory with packages
for the hurd which are rather up-to-date, there are also some on
alpha.gnu.org in /gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus

-David Waite