  From: Ketil Froyn <ketilf@ifi.uio.no>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:30:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Strange fb-stuff?

Hi.
I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me a bit here... This
probably isn't the right place to ask, but I don't know a better place.
I have only 2MB RAM on my videocard, so I'm trying to get as much
out of it as possible. I just saw somewhere that the videomode 1168x876 is
probably the highest resolution I can use with 16bpp, instead of the
1152x864 I've been using up to now. But, on the console, when I change
to 1168x876, I first realised I only had 51 lines, as opposed to 54 lines
when I'm running 1154x864. So I looked at what fbset gave me, and that
was:
mode "1168x876x16"
    # D: 142.857 MHz, H: 89.509 kHz, V: 102.297 Hz
    geometry 1168 819 1280 819 16
    timings 7000 236 80 48 6 112 2
endmode

Why only 819?
Another thing I was wondering about, was how to choose a dotclock. Do I
use the highest one possible that works with the resolution, or...?

Another thing is that, on the console, when I use fbset to resize, the
pointer (gpm) cannot move outside the space the screen took before I
resized. Is there something I can do about that?

TIA.

Ketil Froyn
--
He who Laughs, Lasts.