  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : 'ggi-develop@eskimo.com' <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 03:23:42 -0700 (MST)

RE: Some precision about raster operation (Was RE: some though about raster operations)

(this is probably not ontopic question for GGI except that GGI will be
used to implement this :)

Which reminds me - anyone know how difficult it'd be to do a font-render
as a series of drawing commands rather than just rendering a bitmap?  Not
the most useful for most people unless you're working with printers,
accelerated graphics cards, or 3D *grin*...  Any of those bitmaps are
either useless or not really worth it...  (or typesetting interfaces fwiw :)

G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis
[no surprise I'm targetting 3D but printing/typesetting could come in
handy later... :]

On Wed, 19 May 1999, BERNARD Sebastien wrote:

> > For an extension this is no problem. And if it is done as I have in mind,
> > one could even avoid having to link the base extension lib with freetype,
> > but only a plugin rendering lib.
> 	[BERNARD Sebastien]  I agree, the freetype stuff was there as an
> example. I had in mind something more generic. Load a font, generate the
> bitmap, use the bitmap on the visual. Behind could be something like :
> 		1 - bitmap - X11 fonts, amiga, atari and so on - (preload
> the bitmap as it were rendered)
> 		2 - truetype (use freetype)
> 		3 - Type1 (use the t1lib)
> 		4 - Speedo ? (maybe the same as 3)
> 		5 - new stuff from adobe (forgot the name - something like
> fontmaster)
> 		5 - anything I'm not aware of... :)
[clip]