  From: Jos Hulzink <josh@stack.nl>
  To  : Bob Barry <bobb@adsme.co.za>
  Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:36:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: GGI multihead

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Bob Barry wrote:

>     We are running S3 964/968 combinations fine for dual and triplehead
>     (with mono being the third) configurations."
>
> That sounds very casual and offhand.  Please, how does one implement
> initialization of the second card?  Can GGI run multiple S3 Virge cards?  Is
> there a source of detailed info on this sort of thing?

Okay: once more my (me = the latest S3 ViRGE maintainer) problem:

Technically, KGICON is very well able to run multiple ViRGE cards. Problem
however is, that the second, third, etc. cards must be completely
initialized. The S3 ViRGE is a very buggy card, which needs some bug-fixes
at init time. These bugfixes differ between two chip-revisions... There
are many ways to solve this, the most important:

1) Call the BIOS at initialisation time (Windows 98 implements multihead
this way). Problem: Virtual 86 mode in a kernel module, does not work on
non-Intel platforms.

2) Disassemble the BIOS and implement the bugfixes in the driver. If you
give me all ViRGE cards and a few months full-time...

My solution is waiting for XFree 4.0, praying it will not use the MS
Windows way of initialisation, and implement a KGICON for XFree servers.
Huge advantage is that this way we get 3D accel for free too (even on, for
example, RIVA TNT(2) chips...)

Jos