  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : bobb@ADSME.CO.za
  Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 13:32:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: GGI multihead

Hi !

> In Oct 97 you wrote:

Uh - that's a long time ago.

>    "...Plus your BIOS will only initialize one card.  The second one must be
>     initialized from zero by hand and AFAIK the only drivers that allow this
>     for now are the GGI/KGI drivers.
>
>     We are running S3 964/968 combinations fine for dual and triplehead
>     (with mono being the third) configurations."

> That sounds very casual and offhand.  Please, how does one implement
> initialization of the second card?

The point is, that the driver must do a complete reset and setup of the card
_and_ it must be able to move the card away from VGA IO regions.

> Can GGI run multiple S3 Virge cards?

I do not know for sure. I will forward the mail to our mailing list. I have
switched videocards a while ago and haven't checked multihead capabilities
for some time. Though my permedia based card should do well as the initially
passive card, as it is completely MMIO.

> Is there a source of detailed info on this sort of thing?

You mean on getting KGI up and running multihead, or on the technical
details on how to do multihead right when writing a driver ?

CU, ANdy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>