  From: Steffen Seeger <s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 10:36:02 +0200 (CEST)

Re: Linux generic inputdevice layer, first release for testing (fwd)

> On Sat, 1 May 1999 becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
>
> > > Forwarded from linux-kernel, for those who don't read it. Thought it might
> > > be of interest for everyone here...
> >
> > Hmpf ... again ... they really seem to _HAVE_TO_ roll their own ... :-(
> > That really helps me to put some time into something different again ...
>
> Yes they do. One thing I what to tell you is I have spoken to Vojetch and
> he is one of the nice kernel developers I have meet. He is very willing to
> listen. Also he really liked the idea of GGI console and that's why he
> started the unified input code.

You know what Andy means, don't you? We have started working on this almost
four years ago. Some of the things that happen now are precicely what we
were told _not_ to do...

Now that we have _working_ (not perfect, but working) code that starts
showing that the ideas we got flamed for weren't that stupid, what happens?
People rewrite it to have a chance to be 'accepted':

> Its like ggi console but watered down
> enough so linus doesn't disapprove.

Good heavens!!! He should ask himself one question: Does he do that because
he wants to solve a problem or to please Linus? We have choosen to solve the
problem, and I am far more happy with this. On several occasions I got the
impression that Linus doesn't really care about graphics, and that he never
ever will care.

> As for it relationship to the console
> code. Well he is afraid to touch it.

I can understand why. This is such an ugly stuff, and you have virtually no
debugging facility... Hundreds of reboots later you will have a working
system again :-) I am through it, and have no desire to do it again.

> He just wants to unify the input devices.

He's more than welcome to comment on KII.

> One nice thing is he also is working with the USB group to unify
> their patches. I'm tring to work the console code around his patch as well
> as mine. Hopefully we will get a sane console system then.

I have my reservations about that, but if you do, my applause will be yours.

'one of the bad guys' Steffen

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------