  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 21:31:34 +0000

Re: MMIO accel with kgicon drivers.

Jonas Borgström wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 10:01:29PM +0000, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> > > I looked at the fbcon-kgi.c, and I just need to set fix.mmio_start to the
> > > mmio address, but how can I do that without doing a Hack(tm).
> >
> > Well, the entire KGIcon is a hack due to the messy Dali KGI, so I
> > wouldn't worry too much about that...
> > I would just add mmio_start and mmio_len entries to the end of the
> > kgi_display struct and let the chipset driver fill them in.
>
> I have done it now, and it works, I have attached a patch, so you can
> look at it and say what you think...

Looks ok and works fine on the Millennium 2 too. I added some code
so that you must be root to map the MMIO region unless you define
NONROOT_MMIO at the top of fbcon-kgi.c - in case someone depends on
users not having direct access to the registers, and commited it.

Good thing is that I can now test both the matroxfb accel code and
the genkgi code of LibGGI without rebooting.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se