  From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jonas_Borgstr=F6m?= <jonas_b@bitsmart.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:15:12 +0200

MMIO accel with kgicon drivers.

Hi, all

I have recently tried XGGI, and it works great. I first tried the matroxfb
driver, it was fast but I didn't manage to get any resolution bigger than
640x480. And after using fbset a while I had to reboot the computer.
After that I tried my old Matrox Millennium driver, and it worked in all
resolutions but, because it uses ioctrls to accelerate it is a lot slower
than the matroxfb driver that uses direct mmio accel.

So, what should I do:

Should I try to use the matroxfb and somehow get my resolution
(1024x768x16), but I like kgicon with and the generic monitor driver and
setmon.

Or should I update my driver to use mmio acceleration?

I looked at the fbcon-kgi.c, and I just need to set fix.mmio_start to the
mmio address, but how can I do that without doing a Hack(tm).

/ Jonas

       Jonas Borgström <jonas_b@bitsmart.com>
           Urban http://urban.home.dhs.org
        ZipCracker http://www.c5.org/zipcracker