  From: Ketil Froyn <ketilf@ifi.uio.no>
  To  : andreas.beck@ggi-project.org
  Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 15:37:55 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: XGGI

On Sun, 9 May 1999 becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> > When I run XGGI, it starts up in 640x480 mode. That is great.
> > The only problem is that my mouse doesn't work, so there's not
> > much I can do.
> Have you configured your mouse ? If you have SVGAlib installed, I recommend
> to set your mouse in /etc/vga/libvga.conf .

No, I haven't configured my mouse. The problem was knowing where to
configure it. SVGAlib's config files didn't occur to me :)

> > If I start with -modes 1024x768, my screen goes black. The same happens
> > with 800x600. Do I have to configure my screen somewhere?
> If you use the kernel matrox driver, you have to
> 1. Set up /etc/fb.modes. This works by setting up the modes you want with
> fbset, adjusting them until you like the result and then copying the
> output of fbset into that file and changing the "tag" to something like
> "800x600x8" for quick access with "fbset 800x600x8".

Argh. I don't have fbset, cos I'm running rh-5.2, so I don't have
glibc-2.1 :/

> 2. Get a current CVS snapshot or wait for Beta2.1 which will be released
> RSN. The new version of LibGGI will parse the fb.modes file and negotiate
> geometry as appropriate.

I'll wait, then. Need rh-6.0 first.

> > I've noticed a bug(?) in XGGI. When I press Ctrl-Alt-BS to kill the
> > server, I have to use the Ctrl-button on the left hand of the keyboard. If
> > I try to use the right one, nothing happens.
> Yes. LibGGI makes a distinction here. Do you think it is important to be
> able to kill it with _both_ combos ?

Absolutely! My left ctrl-key is almost broken, so I never use it. If it
breaks totally, I can't test XGGI any more, cos if something doesn't
work, I'll have to kill my computer again.. That's a bit unnecessary, I
think. And I'm sure there are others out there that habitually use the
right ctrl-key for whatever reason. And then, when ctrl-alt-bs suddenly
doesn't work, it might not be trivial figuring out why! And anyway, full
compatibility with what people are used to is a good thing unless it is
really necessary to change something.

Ketil Froyn
--
He who Laughs, Lasts.