  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 20:00:47 +0000

Re: DGA target kills my X.

Niklas Höglund wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 06, 1999 at 04:34:47PM +0100, Daniel Elenius wrote:
> > I have a working libggi on my box now, but when I try the DGA target
> > (after doing export=GGI_DISPLAY=DGA), one of two things happen with
> > the demo programs:

> > 1) It gives an error message like (from the warp demo):
> >
> > daniel@i203:/usr/src/degas/lib/libggi/programs/demos/warp-ggi# ./warp cthugha.pcx -d 32
> > LibGGI: Failed to set mode: 320x200.[C24/24]
> > Error switching to 320x200 24 bpp mode.
> > Under X, try using -d depth_of_your_screen.
> >
> > Note that 32 IS the depth of my screen.
> > Same thing happens with the warp demo on KGI.

I can not see how you could possible get that result with the current
code. Please try upgrading to a recent snapshot.

> > 2) It kills the X server, throwing me back to my xdm login screen.

Sounds like a buggy X-server to me.

> I just end up with a black screen. Switching consoles does not give me
> the screen back, and Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. After this happened a
> few times I deleted the DGA target as I sometimes ran it by mistake.

What X-server, mode and application did you use then?
And which snapshot?

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se