  From: Daniel Elenius <danel698@student.liu.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 02:31:54 +0100

Re: KGI, how to use it

> After you run 'make config', you need to run 'make' to actually build
> the .o
> file.

Oh, I see.

> I assume you mean selecting riva, because there isn't a riva tnt option.

That's true. So, how will make know what kind of riva it's supposed to
be?

> The only thing I can think of is that you missed files beginning with
> '.'.
> The important file is
> degas/kgicon/kgi/chipset/nVidia/.configure

You're right.

> I'd recommend copying 'fixbits' from degas/lib to the root of your ggi
> tree.
> Then, when you run it, it will fix all of these problems.

Done.

> know for this to
> work:
> (All of this information may only apply to riva 128s, but I think you'll
> have
> the same problem)
> The riva driver doesn't initialize the graphics card properly.  When you
> insmod
> it, nine times out of ten your console will mess up.
> There is a workaround, though.  If you insmod it twice, it works
> properly.
> You can't insmod the same module twice, but there is a way of working
> around
> that, too.
> After you build kgicon.o, make a copy of it with a different filename
> (ie k2.o).  Then, insmod k2.o, and watch your screen mess up.  Then
> blindly
> insmod kgicon.o.  Everything _should_ be happy from there on.
> You can then rmmod k2.o.
>
> I know this is the Wrong Way to do this. :(

Cool :)

> > And I still haven't got the kernel to recognize my VESA fb driver. I
> > find no info in the kernel docs that helps me. Shouldn't it be enough
> > to have append="video=vesa" in the right place in lilo.conf?
> >From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/vesafb.txt:
>  To enable one of those modes you have to specify "vga=ask" in the
>  lilo.conf file and rerun LILO. Then you can type in the descired
>  mode at the "vga=ask" prompt. For example if you like to use
>  1024x768x256 colors you have to say "305" at this prompt.
>
> I'm not sure what you don't understand?  Please clarify and I'll try to
> help.

OK, I didn't realize that I have to set a video mode from the beginning.
So, there's no way of switching modes when using the VESA fb driver?

> Another note: using the vesa and kgi modules at the same time requires
> more
> work, ie con2fbmap.

Where do I find that program?

> If you compile in support for vesa, though, and don't specify a vesa
> mode
> at the lilo prompt, it won't load the vesa driver.

Right.

OK, I'll try these things now.

-~* Daniel Elenius *~-