  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 17:35:27 -0500 (EST)

Re: Sprites in video memory

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Adrian Ratnapala wrote:
> A visual is a big object which draws into surfaces.  Every visual
> has a "default" or maybe "current" surface, and drawing primitives
> draw into this, that won't break the current interface since
> the default surface would just be equivelent to whatever is going on
> already.  Users could create a special "Sprite Visual", which could
> be focused, one at a time onto the sprite they want to draw into.

That's approximately what I meant by a "batch visual".

> Probably people with more familiarity with libGGI and its internal
> would have a better idea what to do though.

This is on the LibGGI open issues list, and I'm sure the LibGGI
core team would be willing to help you learn the internals to
implement your scheme as a LibGGI extension.  Will require a bit
of kernel driver support to work right in the long run, but
in the short run the batch visual could just draw into the invisible
area of the "one big visual".

--
P.C.M.C.I.A. stands for "Plastic Connectors May Crack If Adjusted"
                                                             -- me