  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:55:08 +1100

Re: Mouse in GII is acting wierd

Sven LUTHER writes:

>  > > Hmm, yes this would make sense as AFAIK all distributions use the
>  > > /dev/mouse symlink. Then we could at least detect PS/2 and bus-mice
>  > > by checking the device.
>  >
>  > Yep. It would be a matter of following the symlink.
>  >
>  > > > Even checking /etc/X11/XF86Config would be
>  > > The problem with that is that you can't make a (reliable) parser for
>  > > XF86Config in less than 30 lines.
>
>  Debian X packages provide a perl script for checking the correctness of the
>  XF86Config file, it is launched before xdm is run, so you can get it there ...
>
>  how do you handle non-i386 mouses ? how compatible is this stuff with X ? with
>  gpm ?

There is a check in linux-mouse, that does stat() on the /dev/mouse file
to get the major/minor numbers and compares them with the magic values for
various mice types (IIRC minor = 10 or something for linux-m68k).  Whether
it actually works, I don't know :).  I *assume* it follows a symlink...

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/